Happy 39/smooth anniversary!

I noticed yesterday a post on GD’s Instagram that 39/smooth was released on April 13th in 1990! They even included a never before seen video from a backyard in Oakland in 1990. Such a cool piece of early band history so I thought that incase some of you haven’t seen it I would share here :slightly_smiling_face:
I also wasn’t aware that Trè was not the original drummer for Green Day, so I guess even after being a fan for 16+ years I’m still learning new things.

4 Likes

I think that videos been around for a while. I’ve certainly seen it before and pretty sure it was in the Turn It Around doc.

2 Likes

It hasn’t been around in “full” like that. There have been a few second long snippets that have leaked, but whoever has the full thing has apparently made it very clear they’re not interested in sharing. Or so I’ve heard. This minute long clip is the most we’ve ever gotten, unless I totally missed a fuller video at some point.

ETA: this video has been around, and this is what’s been said about it.

3 Likes

Yeah John was the drummer on 39/Smooth and actually reunited with the band during their 2015(?) House of Blues show

3 Likes

I always loved that they thought to include him in some way. I cannot even imagine what it must be like to be a former band member who juuuuuuust missed out on a band’s big break. Now, had these members stayed in, big breaks might never have happened, but it’s still gotta be tough to know just how close you were to something so huge.

5 Likes

I’m of the school that thinks it wouldn’t have happened without Tre. They leaped ahead once he joined

4 Likes

I agree with you completely.

2 Likes

Me too, I think Tre turbo charged them. Mike has def said he felt he had to up his game once Tre joined them.

3 Likes

Hmm that’s interesting, I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen it but odd they would say never seen before if that is the case.

Yeah I’ve always thought that, definitely is nice that they are putting some respect on his name. Wonder what he’s up to these days.

1 Like

Oh cool, thanks for sharing!

1 Like